Manchester Relief in Need Fund
Grants for individuals
The majority of grants awarded are for individuals. The Trustees award grants that provide a “Relief in Need” for adults living in the City of Manchester. The Trustees meet to review applications every month. Grants awarded tend to range between £50-£500.
The provision of the scheme gives the Trustees a wide choice in the kind of relief they can provide. The Trustees are unable to make grants directly for payment of community charge, taxes, or other public funds (e.g. income tax, payment of fines). It is very rare that consideration is given to individuals who have received a grant during the previous twelve months.
Funding for community projects
The Trustees may also consider applications from registered charities or voluntary organisations for specific community projects or pieces of work. These applications can be made in the January of each year. Information about the funding programme for community projects can be found below:
Who may apply?
Please check the following criteria. If your client(s) or project(s) meet any of these criteria then please continue reading the guidelines.
Manchester Relief in Need
• Registered charities or voluntary organisations that provide assistance to residents living in Manchester.
• Your beneficiaries must be in financial need.
What do we support?
• Trustees are flexible in what they award a grant for. The need must be specific and help to alleviate the beneficiaries’ suffering whether this is financial or medical relief.
• Community group applications can apply for a grant of £500 – £5,000 but be aware that requests always exceed our limited resources.
• Your application should detail a specific project or piece of work which your organisation provides as part of its overall service delivery.
• Projects funded must be delivered within the next 12 months.
What can we not support?
• Charities based out of the geographical areas detailed above.
• Grant requests to cover general everyday costs such as heating, lighting or rates etc.
• Your Group application must help more than one individual.
• Grants are available for individuals using our individual application form, which may be submitted throughout the year and are considered by Trustees each month.
• Trustees do not award grants over £5,000.
• Trustees will not generally contribute towards larger appeals for instance major building renovations.
• Trustees will not fund projects retrospectively.